Saturday, January 31, 2015


A couple of other things needed fixing. The turning radius was always not enough so I moved the rack to the right by about 3/4". This allowed the tie rod to move to the right 3/4" and decrease the turning radius a great deal. To make the left turn the same I cut 1.5" off the right end of the rack housing.

You can see from the photos that the clamping strap is now over the alum. hub. The mounts did not change just the position of the rack housing. I had to machine the area of the housing to allow the clamp to fit there.

The next issue was the rear suspension. I had removed one of the two springs inside the Honda Goldwing air shocks thinking it was too stiff and raised the rear ride height. It ended up that it was way too soft and would bottom out on the slightest bump. Today I put the springs back inside the shocks and now driving it with 2 up was really great. It never came close to bottoming out . It has however raised the back of the car and the shocks are fully extended with no passengers aboard. I drives fine so I'll leave it for now.

Here is how much turning I get. The left wheel looks like it is cambered out but it is just a camera angle. It is actually cambered in a good bit. Lots of Ackermann too!I also trimmed the alum. plates under the ball joints and they look much less noticeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment